Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tête à Tête-Barbara

Barbara is a 3rd grade teacher who works with autistic children. She is an avid runner and lives on my block. She also happens to work at my fave bar, The Immigrant. She is an amazing woman who is constantly striving to be a better person--she challenges herself in many ways and I have such respect for her. She is incredibly thoughtful and generous. She is always willing to listen to me and I love our walks around the neighborhood. She is incredibly dedicated to her kids in class and always has something new and fun for them. She introduced me to sound machines and has this great game in her class where she plays the sound and the children have to show an action for the sound. She is a genius! 

She insisted on joining me when I was taken to the ER and stayed with me throughout the craziness of the evening. She recently made me a "Love, but not that kind of love" CD that brought me comfort and laughs. I am so grateful that she is in my life. She has great advice, warmth and kindness that she brings to all her relationships. I am so lucky to receive all of her amazing qualities that she so willingly gives. We've both been recently dealing with our injured feet. She seems to be one of the few people that understand that it's a lot more than just a stinky foot.

I loved hearing her tell her favorite memory. It was of going to the airport with her Grandpa. They would go every weekend and he would take her into one of the planes, into the cockpit. They would check things out and before leaving when he would get her a chocodile (I'd never heard of such a thing...where have I been!?). Seeing her eyes light up when she spoke of him warmed my heart and immediately brought my Grandparents to mind. I thought of the days of making play-doh with my Grandma Maxine, sewing with Grandma Jo, my snail mail correspondence with Grandma Nadine...I love that nostalgia of my youth and the memories I keep--those moments that affect you forever, no matter how small they seem.


We started our interview that night in the ER and I finally finished it this past week.

Barb, you are a woman I respect and adore. I love you. You are amazing.


Subject: Barbara
Female, Arizona

What do you spread on toast? cherry or raspberry jelly
What makes you happy? running, friends, family, dancing in the sunshine
What time do you wake up? 7am weekdays, noon on weekends
What is your favorite place to be? running near the water under the bridge, rooftops, the beach
What is your favorite time of day? 4:00, get out of work.
What was your favorite age? 5
How many jobs have you had? 8; busser, food runner, waitress, community advocate, in home rehab, special education assistant, special ed teacher, bartender. 
What is your favorite quiet spot? Arizona reserve & the East River
Where do you rendezvous with friends? Immigrant!
How do you get around town? walking
How many countries have you visited? 8; Mexico, UK, Italy, France, Spain, India, France, Switzerland, 
How many brothers/sisters?  One Brother (Barry), 33
What is your favorite memory? With my grandpa at the airport
What is your favorite food?  Cheese! And salmon...

No comments:

Post a Comment