Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tête à Tête with Tammi - Dave the Diver

While in lovely Koh Samui, I took a day trip to Angthong National Marine Park. It is a picturesque group of over 40 islands that are absolutely stunning. I had a wonderful day aboard the Anda with the wonderful Diving Dave.

Dave is over 40, but has the spirit and energy of a five year old. His bright blue eyes and blond hair make him recognizable anywhere he goes. He works for 100 Degrees East, which operates the best organized tour I've ever been on. The size of the group was limited to twelve people and Dave and his crew make sure to avoid all the large groups of tourists. They make it so that you end up on your own private island, sitting in the sun, eating your delicious curry lunch and taking a dip in the warm water after. You might shed a few tears of happiness. If you're a sap. Which I am.


Dave was a wonderful host to our adventures the entire day. I loved getting to know him and talking with him. He left the UK five years ago, just on holiday, and never returned. During our "interview" a praying mantis landed on his forehead and stuck with him the entire boat ride. The little guy just wouldn't let go. It is thought that the praying mantis comes to use when we need peace, calm & quiet in our lives.  In some cultures, a praying mantis is thought to bring luck to whomever it lands on and it is believed that the praying mantis is a a divine messenger. "Follow Mantis" means putting the core aspect of yourself, your foundation of Sprit, at the helm and letting it direct your intellect and ultimately your life. I think Dave did just that--brought peace and calm to my day and he is a true example of being yourself and knowing your own foundation.


I loved the way he told me of his younger brother, Peter, getting married. His face lit up as he re-told the story of the special day--the bride and groom driving away in a 1956 Pink VW, the lush green surroundings of the reception, tearing up a bit during his speech as best man--made me wish I were there to witness the beautiful day.


During my chat with him, he told me of his favorite restaurant The Jungle Club, which quickly became my own favorite. He was so right about the magic that happens when you arrive during the day, watch the sun go down, the lights come up in the city--all from the highest point on the island. Surrounded by beautiful trees, warm faces and great food. The restaurant is situated on a piece of property that makes you want to invite all your friends for a big party. You call from the road and a 4x4 picks you up to take you up the mountain. You dine in an open air setting feeling like you're in a dream...

 I wish Dave all the best in his life. 
He brought a special spark to my day.
 His energy, warmth, and kindness will not be easily forgotten.
And who doesn't love someone who is so happy that they get smiley faces tattooed on their toes? 


Subject: Dave
Male, UK

What do you spread on toast? Peanut butter (sometimes jam)
What makes you happy? Everyone else being happy; being around happy people
What time do you wake up? 6am
What is your favorite place to be? Here where I am.
What is your favorite time of day? Sunset
What was your favorite age? 40. 
How many jobs have you had? 4; I worked in a supermarket as the wine, spirits & cigarette manager (which worked out nicely for me), set up scaffolding (which was like a giant puzzle. You would have to figure out how to set up scaffolding for these massive buildings. You'd think you'd have it all figured out and then you'd get there and it would be all wrong). Electrician (I owned my own company for 10 years. When I went on "vacation" to Koh Samui, I gave the company to a friend, telling him he could have the client base until I returned...I never returned). Dive instructor.
What is your favorite quiet spot? Jungle club
Where do you rendezvous with friends? My house, the beach
How do you get around town? my 12 year old Phantom (it's maroon).
How many countries have you visited? 25
How many brothers/sisters? One younger brother
What is your favorite memory? My brother's wedding.
What is your favorite food? Cheese, Tapas, Wine.  (note: in Koh Tao, they have a 200% import tax, so wine and cheese are very expensive and not a lot of people get them. Dave's family and friends bring over his favorites when they come to visit. He loves a great manchego with a Rioja--ohhh yes).

No comments:

Post a Comment