Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tête à Tête with Tammi - Thanks to Diki!

"Yesterday is a story
Today is a present
Tomorrow is a mystery"
-Dikibali

While here in Bali, on the advice of my dear friend Kathy Krafcik, I hired a driver to tour around during the day. I had the sheer pleasure of being picked up one morning by Diki. Traveling around Bali with Diki is a bit like going out in NYC for the day with Deborah Lohse...the man knows everyone!


Diki is a self made man. He previously worked at the Four Seasons in Ubud. He worked his way up from dishwasher, to pool boy, kitchen assistant, bellboy, bell captain, and then concierge. He left the job after ten years to be a freelance driver. 

"We have two choices: when the mind is good, we see good. When the mind is not good, we see not good" -Dikibali


He loves Kenny G (particularly what a talented saxophone player Kenny is) and he says we get along in many ways except that I don't like the "romantic music". He took to calling me "Lonely Tammi" the first day, which morphed finally into "Happy Tammi". I found it quite fitting :)


Sometimes you meet people and they have no idea the sort of influence they are having on you. For me, Diki made this time here in Bali one filled with laughter, fun, acting like a goofball, and the only pictures I'll have of myself this whole trip courtesy of my "ladyman" Diki who was always willing to carry my bag and take over as photographer. He allowed me to enjoy every moment of this trip. One of the days, we had gone to a famous temple and Diki wanted to go down to the water. It was crystal clear, warm and beautiful. He wanted me to jump in,but I was hesitant. One of his mottos was, "You are not here tomorrow". Made me realize that even sometimes I feel stupid or unwilling to do something, I've got to just do it. I may not be in that place the following day. I may not be here on earth another day. Time to live it up!

"What I do, I have to enjoy it". -Dikibali

Diki was my guru for the week. My piece of sanity. My only English conversations! Diki is a man of honor who raises his two girls as his wife is working in Egypt. I called him a "wonder man" as he can do it all. He gave me his favorite recipes, love advice ("looking for a person is easy, it's looking for the right one, that is hard"), showed me hidden little corners of Bali off the beaten path, took me to delicious restaurants and kept me smiling the whole time. Diki, if I can find a man with half your wit, charm, lightheartedness, charm and honor, I will be happy.

Until then...



Subject: Dikibali
Male, Denpasar

What do you spread on toast: Egg & tomato
What makes you happy? (He gave many sarcastic answers)
What time do you wake up? Early when I have to be responsible, late when not
What is your favorite place to be? Singapore
What is your favorite time of day? All day Sunday (day off)
What was your favorite age? 21
How many jobs have you had? 3
What is your favorite quiet spot? Lovina--with the stars, moon and sea
Where do you rendezvous with friends? everywhere
How do you get around town? motorbike, bicycle, van
How many countries have you visited? 2
How many brothers and sisters? 5 brothers
What is your favorite memory? Sweet, of a woman (great long story behind this one)
What is your favorite food? local=suckling pig; restaurant=pizza



No comments:

Post a Comment