Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grateful Grazies-The Usual Suspects

Over a year ago, I moved into my tiny little one bedroom apartment on 9th Street.
 It was formerly my dream block. Just about this time of year the Christmas lights go up, the Fall leaves are scattered across the sidewalk, the stores decorated for the holidays, and I walk down the street thinking how grateful I am.


9th Street is one of those rare blocks where neighbors actually know one another. Eddie at the bodega asks me how I am, Santo at the printer welcomes any sweet treats I'm delivering, Brendon at Mud always refuses any dessert I'm offering...

The little wine bar downstairs has really become my extended living room though. Jason has created an environment that is warm, welcoming, where no one hassles you, as he invites everyone into his second home. I am so grateful that he has allowed me to do my baking and infiltrate the delightful cave where I deliver them every week. I'm grateful that he has created an environment that brings people together--he connects everyone with his generous ways and always makes sure that people are comfortable (and that the creepers leave the ladies alone!). He loves old New York and often has a story about a music group or a history lesson about the neighborhood, which I love. He loves what he does, and because of that, we have a safe haven to celebrate our birthdays, to mourn the loss of loved ones, to dance on the bar, to have a spanking train for our birthdays, enjoy the warmth after a run in a hurricane, a corner to chill and read my Time Out New York, and most of all, a home away from home and a family I adore.

All of the people that work there have become people in my life that I look out for, care for, gift with Happy Tuesdays, bring little snacks to and just plain love.


Emily is far younger than me, but wise beyond her years. She always has this non-judgemental and logical way of looking at things. She gives me advice on love, authors to read, and fashion advice when I bring down my plethora of outfits and change in the bathroom. She often likes to test the limits of my humor, and her and I have a way of laughing hysterically at a joke only her and I think is funny. Her boyfriend Robb is not only a talented author, but always a great conversationalist and up for anything when it comes to a night out. 


Barbara is a special ed teacher that has boundless optimism. Whenever I see her, whether it be for a walk around the neighborhood, or behind the bar, she always has a smile on her face and wisdom on her lips. She has a wonderful spiritual side to her and we often talk about our current reading choices and make our own sound machines. Her running/work friends are always a delight and she surrounds herself with amazing people.


John Yan has been such a source of fun since I've known him. We actually have a good friend in common outside of the Immi and I'm so grateful every time we hang out. We've had some great adventures touring the city and he's a rare one who is often saying "YES" to whatever plan comes his way. My favorite JY day was touring the Museum of Natural History and visiting the Muppet Workshop at FAO. He showed me the wonders of the East River and our ice cream dates where he gives me dating advice are sorely missed.

Tad is not only an amazing photographer (let's get this boy some work, yo!) but he is a kind soul who is genuine, an amazing surfer who travels the world looking for the best waves, tells me I look good when I'm all dressed up and gives me hell when I'm in my Kermie duds. I am grateful for his listening ear, his warm hugs that envelop my entire body, and his never-ending refilling of my beer mug of water.

Chelsea is a vivacious, beautiful and kind woman who is getting her Masters Degree in non-profit management--a girl after my own heart. No matter what's going on in her life, she greets everyone with her full smile and big eyes. I am grateful for her always being interested, not only in the people in her life, but social issues as well. 


The Duo girls are a bubbly & friendly duet that everyone loves. They run a very successful business that creates an atmosphere of peace & belonging and their subtle design touches astound me. I am grateful for their eternal optimism and positive energy. LaRae can dougie like nobody's business and I am grateful for her laugh. Wendy graciously did my Cleo make-up for Halloween and I am grateful for her generous heart and smile. They even write thank you notes!? Who does that anymore? I adore these two lovelies and the energy they bring to the block.


The bar regulars are so varied in every imaginable way. It's like being at Dylan's Candy Bar with the array of personalities & ages. It's always interesting to me that no one ever really knows what we all do for a living. It's a wonderful place where people really just know who you are by how you treat them. There are lawyers, actors, finance dudes, photographers, authors, actors, musicians, designers, teachers, restaurateurs...they run the gamut. 


Logan is like the older Uncle of the bunch. He used to own a bookstore in Princeton and now tends bar uptown. I'm grateful for his company and conversation every time I see him. He's got a lifetime of experience to share and give advice about and I'm grateful he's always present. Bogie's family owns the bakery across the street where Jason gets the bread for Immi and every time I see him, I know his smile will be present, as well as his putting his hair gently behind his ears to listen to who he's talking with. His bright eyes always light up when I have any peanut butter dessert and I am grateful that he never critiques my treats (coming from a family of amazing bakers and all). Themis can party "all day" as he likes to say. I know he'll always have something silly to say to make me laugh and I am grateful the way he'll have a conversation about anything, and often till 3 in the morning, without getting bored or fed up. I often see Ian as the mayor of 9th Street. This guy knows everyone and his laid back nature makes him pleasant to be around and easy to talk to. He is nonchalant and can talk to anyone. I admire his positivity and ease in life. When Mike and Corbin are at the Immi, I know it's going to be a fun night. They are both dorky in the best possible way, and will also put up with my dorky dancing late night at Lit, or my antics in full Kermie regalia at the Immi. I am grateful for them for always being accepting and willing to laugh with me. Adam is such a good sport when it comes to hanging out at the Immi. He loves to travel and is a great resource for places to go, things to do, and trips that will make memories for a lifetime. I'm grateful to him for his honesty, his compassion, and his mad skills at making hand turkeys. 


Thanks to Lisa, I was introduced to the best yoga studio in the East Village. Lisa is a ball of fire, that one. I adore her and her witty ways. She has a great smart ass way about her, but is also deeply spiritual and I love hearing the newest thing she's got for me to read or hear about. She is a dedicated yogi who is always there for her friends and remains true to herself in all situations. I am grateful for her ability to be honest to herself and others. Her friend Pam is also often present and her dry sense of humor always makes me laugh. Glen & Stacey are a wonderful couple that always say hello and take a treat from my hands. They are warm, genuine and share stories of themselves and the history of this great neighborhood.  Avi and Gaurav are cousins that always roll in with smiles, great conversation, and always seem to be living the good life. I am grateful for their company and the way they seamlessly meld into the mixing pot of characters there. They bring their own spunk and good energy, which I love. Brian lives across the street and I love watching him bring his dates to Immi; sharing stories afterwards. Shana is the vet across the street that likes to come in, swap stories of the day and have a beer. There is also the whole "volleyball" crew, as they have come to be called. They once rolled up to the Immi after a game in a limo, me taking pictures like paparazzi.  Alex owns a few buildings on the block and I know I can often catch up with him in the front of his building. He has a great sense of humor and is always looking out for his friends. Vloodo, George, Stan and the rest of the crew round out what ends up being a great group of people that know how to have a good time with me and my tambourine dancing. There are plenty of other smiling faces I love seeing; they pop in every few weeks and we share a moment of catching up. 


These people were with me through the Summer of Tammi and I hope they will continue to be with me throughout my life here. I realize, the reason I love them all so much and why it's such a comfortable environment, is that being everyone is being authentic. No one is trying to impress one another or put on a show. Every one is just being who they are. Every day. It's a lovely thing. I am grateful to have this community and a place where I belong. I'm grateful for the conversation, the company, the genuine nature of the people that I'm lucky enough to surround myself with. Thanks y'all. You make my life better, fuller, and give me a place where I feel comfortable & cared for.




                                             



1 comment: