Saturday, October 22, 2011

Grateful Gratzies: Birthday Twins!

October 22nd celebrates two of my favorite dudes!

It's Double Trouble days of birth for two men that have each been an integral part of my life.

I met Jed Jackman (or as I always have called him, Jeddy) my first year at the University of Utah. He was my Resident Advisor at the crappy little dormitory halls. He would always make his rounds, and I would inevitably be home baking, cooking, or writing my homesick letters to my friends in California. He and our friend Ron St. Amant became my best friends there at the U.

I recently gave a phone recommendation for Jed for a job in his new home state of Colorado. The prospective employer wanted to know what I thought were Jed's best qualities. It was so easy for me to recommend him because his good qualities are abundant. He has been a true confidant since I've known him. My favorite memories are of Jed & I going on hikes. Our first outing was hiking the skiing trails (which in the summer and fall are open for hiking). We packed a picnic lunch and just talked and talked the entire day. He was always my date to the ballet, the Pope to my bad Catholic school girl for Halloween, a great travel companion to Moab and Mexico. He is a man who is so loyal, warm and caring. He has lived all over the country and in Canada as well for art school, but no matter where he's living, he always maintains our friendship. He picked me up from the depths of despair in Utah and continues to warm my heart whenever we manage to connect after a long game of phone tag.

I am so grateful for his honesty, his compassion, and his never failing support. I love you Jeddy. My own little Star Wars Jedi. You are amazing. I am so blessed to have you in my life and today I celebrate you. My forever friend.



The other Birthday Twin is Dave Scher.

Dave and I have known each other since my first year here in NYC. He and I have been all over the world together and he is someone who I know will be a lifelong friend.  He's never been big on celebrating his day of birth. Today, I celebrate the man who is still an encouraging friend and amazing travel companion.


My favorite memories with Dave I often find when I'm searching through my internal database of trips. We always had such a wonderful time traveling together and his willingness and eagerness to see new things and have new experiences have always been our best moments. He is always finding new & fun things to do in the city and thanks to his perceptive detective work, we always see the best music and shows together. I love thinking back about the first time we met; that "Summer of Dave" was my favorite time with him. We ended up taking a spur of the moment trip to the Islands of Tahiti and have memories that we will never forget.

We would have the best holiday parties. Our annual White Elephant Holiday Party was always a huge hit. I loved putting the whole party together, and Dave hated that damn chocolate fountain. He's always been by my side through all the storms that life has thrown us. He's the karaoke king, the borat, the Lloyd Dobler to my Diane Court. Dave, thank you for being you and always being there for me. You are amazing. I love you. Enjoy your special day.






No comments:

Post a Comment