Friday, October 14, 2011

Lilacs, Linen & Lace

October 1st was the beginning of my ninth year here in NYC.


It's been quite a life here. When I first moved here, I don't think I gave much thought to how long I would be here. I just went on vacation by myself for two weeks and then very soon after I moved to Brooklyn. I left behind a very stable, very secure, very adult life. I had a job I loved. A wonderful boyfriend. I lived in a four bedroom house all by myself with Lloyd Dobler. I was surrounded by my family and friends...and yet, somehow, I was driven to come to this crazy town. My life isn't that much different I suppose. I have a job I love, a wonderful boyfriend, amazing friends. The one component that continually draws me back to California is my wonderful family & friends (oh, that and the possibility of fantastic weather year round).

It's been eight years of:


Trips that included:
Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, Australia, Mexico, St. Lucia, Barbados, Spain, England, Scotland, Wales, Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Laos, Myanmar, Puerto Rico, Panama, The New SLC, Moab, Wilmington, Seattle, Tahoe, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego

Hundreds of dollars shipping things from CA (including my beloved red glitter bar stools that I packed into my luggage, only to sell them when I moved from Brooklyn to the East Village. Whomp whomp whomp).

Acquiring more Kermie's than I know what to do with (the five footer has to go...). I did propose to him though...maybe he's still checking with Piggy.

Reuniting with Deborah Lohse after five years and then having the privilege of dancing with ad hoc Ballet in some amazing venues

Countless Jet Blue flights to Sactown
All my siblings getting married
Ten different teaching jobs
Three different boyfriends
Making new friends
Two new nephews
Five Apartments

I kissed a frog, and I liked it.
Some of my favorite memories are hanging out the in backyard at Devoe St. with a building full of dancers. My annual white elephant holiday party with the chocolate fountain and enough food to feed an army. Ladies annual clothing exchange with Deb & Karen parading matching outfits. Dancing at Vig all night long. Performing Her at Joyce Soho. Silo Residency. Maine with Deb. Late night concerts with Greg Peterson. Halloween with Diana. I'd love to hear your favorite memory with me & NYC!







I am the most me and possibly the most crazy I've ever been. I currently live in the smallest apartment I've ever had.  On my favorite block of all time. I have a job and 150 kiddos I adore.  I have the best friends I could ask for. And you know what? I love it all. Every once in a while I think of what my life would be if I would have stayed in Roseville...I'm glad I am where I am. Who I am. Being the me that I'm meant to be. I think it all began in my seventh year of life when I wrote a simple sentence:

Travel alliteration from second grade.
Here's to more years of being nice & nasty in a city I love. 
Thanks NYC. I heart you major.

No comments:

Post a Comment