Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My amphibian lover

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously. And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament".
-Kermit the Frog

"From Kermit the Frog, literally an extension of Jim, comes a life-affirming decency, a passionate belief that there are stories to tell which don't exclude children and don't insult adults, which don't exclude adults but which don't insult children, which can be outrageous and innovative without being arch or misanthropic. There's anarchy here, but it's anarchy that celebrates rather than destroys". 
-Anthony Minghella

I'm so ready for the Muppet Movie!

Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a fondness for Kermit the Frog. When I was in my early twenties, I bought a set of Muppet curtains on eBay. My mom came over to my house and saw them in my bedroom and said, "You had those same curtains when you were little!". I guess I've always had an affection for that frog.  I always find myself singing Rainbow Connection for plies whenever my pianist is late. My two cars have had their KRMT license plates (another genius from my amazing mom). I have mini finger puppet Kermie's, five foot tall Kermie's, Kermit shoelaces, bobble heads, a three foot Kermit that I dress up for the holidays...wait, maybe I'm not supposed to be admitting all this. Whoops.

For me, there's something magical and delightful about Kermie.  He's that unassuming personality that everyone loves. He has the same self-deprecating sense of humor that I find in myself at times. But he also has this optimism that carries him through all his daily adventures and life. At at recent late night at the Immi, one of the conversations was: If you could have been anyone in history, who would you be? I think I'd love a day as Jim Henson. He was such an innovative and accepting spirit and Kermit is truly just an extension of him and his amazing attitude towards life.

"Kermit's function on this show is very much like my own in that he's trying to hold together this group of crazies. And that's not unlike what I do." -Jim Henson



Sometimes I feel like my existence here in the city is me bein' green with all my Muppet friends. I guess I've always loved him so much, because I hope I'm a bit like him--totally lovable, always helping out his friends,  trying to maintain order in the chaos of the crazies around him, fun and fun-loving, funny & witty, and a bit kooky. 

I'm certainly making these for my Muppet night at the movies!! I've got my outfit picked out and my kermie sneaks are ready to roll. I'll be there Wednesday night if anyone wants to join me and my boyfriend. I've loved seeing all the Muppet mania pop up all over the city as well! I'm also overjoyed that I have a free day this weekend and will finally get to MoMi to see the exhibit

"I believe that we form our own lives, that we create our own reality, and that everything works out for the best. I know I drive some people crazy with what seems to be ridiculous optimism, but it has always worked out for me." -Jim Henson

"Always be happy. When people are in a bad mood, the last thing they want to do is hang around with happy people". -Jim Henson




"Life's like a movie, write your own ending.
Keep believing, keep pretending.
We've done just what we set out to do.
Thanks so the lovers, the dreamers, and you."

No comments:

Post a Comment