Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Culinary Adventures in Cambodia

While in Cambodia,  I decided to channel my inner Mary and take a cooking class. For me, cooking (more so baking) is always so cathartic and enjoyable. I signed up a course through Beyond Unique Escapes and got picked up in my own tuk tuk and rode to a local village about 20 minutes out of Siem Reap. We arrived at the Sojourn Villas and then toured a local village with our guide for the day, Rithy. We arrived with a gift of rice for the family and met the children (ten in all!). A bunch of cutie bahtooties running around and eager to have their picture taken.






















The cooking class took place in a beautiful open air pavillion and we each had our own station. 
The menu was as follows:

Cambodian Curry
Fresh Spring Rolls
Nom Tong Nuyen

Cambodian Mango Salad
Fish Amok
Sticky Rice Flour Balls with Palm Sugar topped with Grated Young Coconut






green mango salad

Glad I didn't have to do the dishes!



my very own curry paste

fresh spring rolls 


Mr. October
Ballet on the Bridge with Rithy and the boys
I loved being outdoors, dining in the middle of a lake in an open air setting and learning something new. It was truly a highlight of my time in Cambodia. We even finished off the afternoon with a ballet lesson on the bridge. I heart you Cambodia. Big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment