Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tête à Tête with Tammi: Richie

I had the pleasure of meeting Richie after my day out with Dave. He was at The Jungle Club with a group of 24 people that he was leading on a tour of Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Kao Phangan with Contiki. Seeing him interact with the people in the restaurant, I knew he was a regular, and I also quickly surmised that he would most likely be willing to chat with me. On his way from one group to the other, I quickly asked him where they were all from. He explained that he was a tour guide and then kindly sat and talked with me for 30 minutes.

He is 31 and originally from New Zealand where he was working as a civil engineer. I could immediately sense the happiness pouring out from this wonderful man. He grew up on the family farm, being raised mostly by his grandparents. Growing up, he and his Granddad would go diving in the morning for mussels, oysters--any seafood they could get. Then they took it back home for Nan and Mum to eat. He idolizes his "Nan" and I loved hearing him speak of his love for her. He says she's the healthiest person he knows, doing Tai Chi and still working every day.

He had a prosperous job as an engineer in New Zealand, but as he said, he had a lot of money but no life. After an accident at thirty that left him unable to move for six months, he decided to re-evaluate his life. He traveled to Australia and then kept going. He says the accident allowed him to slow down and wake up. Ease up and slow your roll, as Deb Lohse says.

 I admire his willingness to let go of everything stable and move into the unknown.  He really made it even clearer to me that even though I'll never be a bazillionaire teaching ballet, there is so much fulfillment in it for me and it makes me so happy to have a job doing something I love and am good at. Hearing him tell his story of giving up all the money and finding joy doing something he loves makes it even easier for me to remain firm in my belief that money won't buy you happiness. His sense of adventure and openness is something I really appreciate. His smile will continue to warm my heart when I think of him.

I felt the love for life pouring out of this man. It was so wonderful to meet people who have such enthusiasm for what they do and that are so happy. I feel so lucky to have met so many incredible people on my journey. Richie was the last of my travel interviews, but don't worry dear ones, I'll make sure to keep this a part of my weekly adventures. I couldn't help but think: did I just happen to keep meeting people who were extraordinarily happy by chance, or was I seeking like-minded people that make me feel like I'm not so crazy for being so damn enthusiastic myself...


Subject:
Richie; Male
New Zealand

What do you spread on toast? Butter
What makes you happy? Being around happy people, life in general
What time do you wake up? Different every day. When working, early 6am
What is your favorite place to be? At home with Nan
What is your favorite time of day? On the island at sunset
What was your favorite age? 31
How many jobs have you had? 4 (supermarket stocker, road construction, civil engineer, tour guide)
What is your favorite quiet spot? At my Koh Phangan bungalow in my hammock
Where do you rendezvous with friends? New Zealand; it's where most of my friends are
How do you get around town? Anyway fashionable; donkeys in Greece, back of a bike, tuk tuk, carried home, water buffalo, car
How many countries have you visited? 40 plus
How many brothers/sisters? Two sisters; very close to them
What is your favorite memory? Being little and diving with granddad for breakfast
What is your favorite food? anything Nan cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment