Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tête à Tête with Tammi -Miss. Rithy

In Cambodia I took a wonderful cooking class. Our "guide" for the day was Rithy. She was so wonderful to get to know. She was slow to warm and a bit shy initially, but I quickly discovered she has a wonderful sense of humor and was eager to tell her jokes (What's the difference between an old man and an old car?). During the afternoon session, she began to open up about herself, her family and her job. I discovered she started her current job after her prior boss was forced to fire her because his wife was jealous. She is an honest and kind woman who we finally convinced to not only join us in cooking, but eat our delightful meal with us. She was always smiling, and in turn, warmed my heart and made me have a permagrin the whole afternoon. We finished the afternoon with a ballet lesson and Rithy showed off her skills! She was so appreciative of our company and told us she had never had that much fun with a group. I guess the participants are often very serious and concentrating--not us...well, we were serious. Serious about having fun!

Subject: Rithy Ngoey
Female, Siem Reap Cambodia





What do you spread on toast? jam
What makes you happy? interacting with friendly people
What time do you wake up? work 5am, day off 9am
What is your favorite place to be? in my homeland
What is your favorite time of day? after work
What was your favorite age? 21; I was beginning to become more independent and contributing to my family
How many jobs have you had? 5
What is your favorite quiet spot? being alone
Where do you rendezvous with friends? temple
How do you get around town? walk & now a motorbike
How many countries have you visited? 2: Cambodia and Thailand. Once,  I met this wonderful American woman and I told her my dream was to see another country. So, she invited me to go to Thailand. I spent time in the North of Thailand and it was amazing. A dream come true.
How many brothers/sisters? 7: 3 brothers and 5 sisters. I am seven of eight children
What is your favorite memory? It's not really a good memory. When I was a child, I remember my father. He stole all the money from our family. The only time I remember him being around is after he would lose all his money and then he would come back to our family, only to steal more.
What is your favorite food? stir fried chicken with ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment